Study Reveals Fasting may Prevent Intestinal Infections

Aug, 2021 - By SMI

Study Reveals Fasting may Prevent Intestinal Infections

A team of researchers from the University of British Columbia, Canada, revealed that fasting may prevent intestinal infections.

The researchers conducted a study in mice to understand whether fasting and fasting-based therapies help in promoting good health. In the current study, the researchers monitored closely if fasting can prevent Salmonella enterica, a gram-negative bacteria responsible for causing gastroenteritis in humans, from causing inflammation or tissue damage. They divided mice into two groups for this study. The first group of mice were made to fast for 24 hours and then were fed with Salmonella Typhimurium. The second group were fed normally. The researchers examined both the groups after an additional 24 hours to determine the state of infections. They found that the infection had spread through the intestine and invaded the intestinal wall in the second group of mice. Moreover, tissue damage were also observed. Interestingly, in the first group researchers found no Salmonella Typhimurium infection in 40% of the mice. Although, the bacteria expanded through the intestine in the remaining 60% of mice from the first group, but the damage is minimal. The researchers further investigated the probable chances of alteration in the pH balance in stomach that might have killed Salmonella Typhimurium. However, the researchers found no difference in stomach pH in the two groups. They explained that fasting might prevent the mucosal infection and translocation of the Salmonella. They suggested that new studies need to be conducted to understand this complex and multifactorial process.

 The researchers concluded that fasting may keep intestinal infections under control. They also found similar results with another bacterium, Campylobacter jejuni. Thus, the researchers are optimistic that this study’s conclusions can be applicable to other enteric infections.  

Stratagem Market Insights

533 Airport Boulevard, Suite 400, Burlingame, CA 94010, United States

Delivery Center

403, 4th Floor, Bremen Business Center
Aundh, Pune, Maharashtra 411007

Contact Us

Get In Touch

In search of customized market research solution? We are here to help you. Contact us.