Highly Processed Foods May Increase The Risk Of Developing Cancer

Feb, 2023 - By SMI

Highly Processed Foods May Increase The Risk Of Developing Cancer

An elevated risk of getting and dying from some types of cancer is linked to a high intake of ultra-processed meals, such as soda, flakes, and several types of white bread.

An observational study done by Imperial College London reveals that higher intake of ultra-processed foods may be associated with an increased risk of developing cancer and passing away from it.

Foods that have undergone extensive processing are frequently readily available, reasonably priced, and widely advertised- frequently as healthy choices. However, these meals typically contain more salt, chunky, sugar, and chemical ingredient. They are now widely known to be associated with a number of detrimental health outcomes, such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, and illness of the heart.

According to the study, eating more ultra-processed meals raises a higher chance of getting cancer in general and specifically ovarian, breast and brain malignancies.

A person's risk of developing cancer rose by 2% overall and by 19% for ovarian cancer for every 10% increase in the intake of ultra-processed food in their diet.

Additionally, each 10% increase in ultra-processed food consumption was linked to a 6% rise in cancer mortality overall, a 16% rise in breast cancer mortality, and a 30% rise in ovarian cancer mortality.

These highly processed components and chemicals may not have the same effects on people’s bodies as fresh, wholesome foods that have undergone little processing. However, heavily advertised ultra-processed meals are widely available, have low prices, and have appealing packaging to encourage consumption. This demonstrates that urgent changes are required in their food system to safeguard the populace against highly processed meal.

Ultra-processed meat consumption should be limited as part of a healthy, continual diet, according to prior recommendations from the UN Food and WHO (World Health Organization) and Agriculture corporation.

Particularly at risk from these inexpensive, toxic, ultra-processed foods are lower income people. To guarantee that everyone has access to wholesome, nutrient-dense, and reasonably priced options, minimally processed and freshly made meals should be subsidised.

Given that ultra-processed foods frequently use food supplements to alter hue, taste, consistency, structure, or shelf life extension, this is a particularly high and alarming number. High processed foods may make people more likely to get cancer particularly brain cancer

Stratagem Market Insights

533 Airport Boulevard, Suite 400, Burlingame, CA 94010, United States

Delivery Center

403, 4th Floor, Bremen Business Center
Aundh, Pune, Maharashtra 411007

Contact Us

Get In Touch

In search of customized market research solution? We are here to help you. Contact us.